In this episode Hilary and guest expert Simon Crawford, of Owls Acre Seed, discuss just about everything you need to know to grow gorgeous sweet peas!
HOW TO LISTEN:
- Subscribe in iTunes , Stitcher, or any of your favorite podcast players to have new episodes sent directly to your device.
- Listen right now in your browser by clicking above.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Sweet pea varieties
- Ideal growing conditions
- Plant spacing
- Seed saving
- Sweet peas are originally from the Mediterranean, so they thrive in mild, dry conditions.
- Sweet peas varieties are generally organized into the following categories:
- Spencers (types shown in photos): Long stems, great for cut flowers
- Heirlooms: Heavily scented
- Early flowering: Best types for growing in warmer climates
- Dwarf: Well suited for containers and hanging baskets
- Most sweet pea plants require trellising! Bamboo tri-pod trellises work well, or you can plant along a fence, wall, or pea net. Not matter how you trellis, you'll need to tie your sweet peas just as you do with your edible peas.
- Pinching sweet pea seedlings at the 3rd leaf node from the base of the plant will help encourage branching. This will result in more blooms, but they may have shorter stems than the non-pinched plant.
- Bud drop occurs when plants are too wet or growing in low light conditions.
- Soap sprays, like Safers, will help keep aphids off of sweet peas.
Check out the following blogs and podcast episodes for more on growing flowers:
Our favorite books on growing flowers:
Like what you hear? Please share our podcast with a friend. Subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcast player so you never miss a beat. And we'd really appreciate you showing us some love by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
We need your support to keep this podcast going! Any amount helps, so consider support us one of two ways:
Guest Expert Feature:
Simon is a plant breeder and seedsman that has been particularly interested in sweet peas for many years. He passed that interest on to his daughter, Elizabeth who now owns and runs Owls Acre Seed. Owls Acre Seed is a UK based seed house based that specializes in sweet pea seed.
About the Host:
Hello, I’m Hilary Dahl. Outside of this podcast, my job is to help beginning and experienced growers create beautiful and productive gardens. I have the unique experience of working in on a wide range of projects, from small backyard garden plots to multi-acre vegetable farms. I also work in my own garden every day when I get home. This podcast is an opportunity to discuss seasonal garden topics and share the the joy of growing your own food.