1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch salt
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree*
1 2/3 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
¼ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
* To make pumpkin purée from a sugar pumpkin: start with a small-medium sugar pumpkin, cut out the stem and scrape out the stringy insides, discard (save the seeds, of course). Bake halved (cut side down) in a 350°F oven until fork tender (add a little oil to the cut edge to prevent burning).
1. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, walnuts, and salt in large bowl.
2. In a second bowl, add eggs, sugar, pumpkin, milk, and butter; beat well.
3. Gently fold in the flour mixture.
4. Cook according to your waffle iron directions.
5. They come out a nice deep, golden brown.
7. Top with syrup, but would also be great with honey butter.
Makes about 8 waffles.